Looking for feedback

Announcements, news and other important information about mRemoteNG.

Looking for feedback

Postby rmcardle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am

I'm looking for some feedback. Please reply with your feelings or ideas on any of the topics below.

• Any problems with removing the tabs within tabs? I would like to keep only the top/outer set of tabs.
  • Any problems with removing the config pane and replacing it with a configuration dialog? Two ideas:
    • Place the config "on the back" of the remote session and have it "flip over" to show the config. So, a piece of a paper metaphor, with one side being the config and the other side the terminal or remote desktop.
    • A separate dialog (like the new options dialog)
  • Any reasons to keep the Gecko browser support if we greatly improve the IE support?
  • Any problems with increasing the required .NET Framework version from 2.0 to 4.0?
  • If scripting support were added, would you prefer Python or Ruby? If neither of those, do you know of something else out there with a well supported .NET interface?
  • Any ideas how we can get more developers to help improve mRemoteNG?
  • Any ideas how we can get more people to help mRemoteNG in other ways: documentation, website design, bug triaging, translation, etc?
  • With our very limited development resources, where would you rather we focused our time: fixing bugs in current features or adding new features?
  • Do you prefer small, frequent updates, or larger, less frequent updates?
  • Any other ideas on how we can continue improving mRemoteNG?
rmcardle
Site Admin

Looking for feedback

Sponsor

Re: Looking for feedback

Postby DVT_Sogh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 am

I will try to answer (I'm french) :
- Not sure what you want to do
- For me, the config pane is the quickiest way for create/modify a connection. I don't figure how you want to set the "on the back" solution
- The Gecko browser help me sometimes with some web application but if it's too difficult to keep the Gecko browser support, i will not blame you !
- No problem for .NET4.0 support
- I would prefer python
- For having more developers, I don't know ! I talk a lot about mRemoteNG at people around me !
- For Translation, I don't know if the system for the app can be appy to the Help documentation.
- For your focus time, I'm not sure you have a lot of bugs (from my visibility) : maybe the bacup problem ?
- I would be very happy if you could implement the Multi Command Sender (look at the post i create)
- Thanks a lot for your work !
DVT_Sogh

Postby kusuriya » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am

Yeah the tab with in the tab interface would be kinda awesome to get rid of, it seems a bit redundant to me.
A dialog window with like preferences for the config for the connections would be awesome
browser support is browser support, looking at it we may want to wait until IE10 comes out but as long as we can use it it doesn't matter much.
.net 4... yes please.
scripting probably python, but you could also in theory since you are using .net throw PowerShell in there with minimal effort.
The amount of updates really comes down to how much is changing, having more frequent bug fix releases may be nice, but in the end larger updates may be more enterprise friendly.

One update that would be pretty nice to see is the Quick connect bar being able to configure your quick connect. IE I am in an RDP environment that some times requires gateways sometimes doesn't, If I could check a box or change an option somewhere for quick connect to have the gateway on or off, or even have a config option that will let me set it up so when i hit RDP it prompts me if i want to use the default gateway setting or not that would be nifty.
Also more documentation on how to import from an XML file would be nice so I could make import files using scripts
The ability to import RDG files from RD Connection Manager would rock.
Just my two cents.
kusuriya

Postby DVT_Sogh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:30 am

Just a little thing : sometimes I have to put some proxy informations to go on a website through mRemoteNG. I didn't found a way to store these informations (It's OK for the automatic update)
DVT_Sogh

Postby SidneyP » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 am

When you say tabs within tabs, you mean 'Panels' with tabbed sessions within those, I love that feature!
It really helps me when I have machines in different environments (intra/inter, dev/staging/prod), and just to stop the dozen or more tabs I have open at a time getting lost.
Moving the config dialog out might be useful to give more screen space back to the connections tree - but it's fine as it is.

Great work, guys!
SidneyP

Postby waverider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 am

Fixing bug before new features is the rule of thumb in software development.

I would like to see the SQL feature ready for production :).
waverider

Postby gman1120 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:40 pm

I agree with Sidney, the panels with the tabs inside are great and I would be very disappointed if that feature was eliminated. I too have a lot of connections opened at the same time and I use different panels to keep organized.

I like the config panel the way it is now but at the same time wouldn't really be bothered if that was changed around. Just so the functionally isn't lost (e.g. inheriting properties from parent).

Regarding updates, my personal preference tends to be more smaller, more frequent updates.

Not sure how to get more developers to help out. I am one myself and would love to contribute but I just can't dedicate the time right now. One of the problems is the initial effort just to get up to speed on the code.
gman1120

Postby jrapp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:09 am

Seems people like the inside tabs. I don't really care, but If the inside panels would be dockable as well I might use them, maybe they could be placed in a separate dockable container? So each top level named "panel" is a dockable container where sub connections can be dragged around in. Probably wouldn't mind being able to drag them out into their own top level panel as well, so maybe the initial set up opens them in the inside dockable tab panel...

Another solution would be to allow opening a folder (or connection) in a new (or specified) Window - with the folder name in the window title.
Right click connection, open in window -> dynamic drop down menu (workdomain, clientXdomain, localapps, new window...)

In the current set up hide or minimize the inner tab panel row when the count is 1 seems useful for maximizing screen usage.
jrapp

Postby koencalliauw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 am

Hi, here are my comments:

[*] Any problems with removing the tabs within tabs? I would like to keep only the top/outer set of tabs.
For me this would greatly increase clutter as I have my connections nicely grouped within panels per customer and location

[*] Any problems with removing the config pane and replacing it with a configuration dialog? Two ideas:
I use the configuration dialog a lot to see what the IP address or certain other properties of a certain host is/are, so any change besides the config pane at the bottom would make it quite a bit more of a hassle to do this.

[*] Any reasons to keep the Gecko browser support if we greatly improve the IE support?
Gecko is preferred for me, see cross-platform notes below

[*] Any problems with increasing the required .NET Framework version from 2.0 to 4.0?
No problem, although I'd personally prefer Mono, since that would be the first steps to be taken to make the app cross-platform

[*] Any ideas how we can get more developers to help improve mRemoteNG?
Take steps to make it cross-platform. The -only- reason I'm still on Windows is this app.

[*] Any ideas how we can get more people to help mRemoteNG in other ways: documentation, website design, bug triaging, translation, etc?
Create placeholders on the Wiki for docs that are missing/wanted
If you're looking for a new website design, mention that clearly on the website, sombody might step in
Have a link in the app itself that points to the page where potential translators can get the tools and instructions to get started

[*] With our very limited development resources, where would you rather we focused our time: fixing bugs in current features or adding new features?
bugfixes first imho.

[*] Do you prefer small, frequent updates, or larger, less frequent updates?
Don't really care, as long as update notices are non-obtrusive

[*] Any other ideas on how we can continue improving mRemoteNG?
You're doing fine with threads like this! I could go on here, but those comments belong in feature requests.

/K
koencalliauw

Postby phil » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 am

Scripting: Python and/or Lua, both can be easily integrated.

Frequent updates.

Other improvements? Fix existing features which don't work (or if they do, not very well). For example, Active Directory import where there are multiple nested subcontainers. I gave up trying to import when I had to do it one container at a time as mRemoteNG wouldn't recurse AD containers.
phil

Next

Return to Announcements