Remote Desktop 7 - Up to 16 monitors

Get help with problems with mRemoteNG.

Postby deming60 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 pm

First, your software blows away the competition, even the commercial ones. You guys have done an awesome job!

I am using my Windows 7 machine with 6 monitors to connect to a Windows Server 2008 R2. When I do this using the RDP in Windows 7, I have the option under the Display tab to "Use all my monitors for the remote session." and it works great. My Win 7 RDP is version 6.1.7600 and it says "Remote Desktop Protocol 7.0 supported". That 7.0 is the part that supports up to 16 monitors.

When I connect via mRemoteNG, it only seems to use span mode (up to 2 monitors) rather than all my monitors. How do I tell mRemoteNG to use all of my monitors?
deming60

Sponsor

Re: Remote Desktop 7 - Up to 16 monitors

Postby peltco » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:11 am

I think mRemote opens a connection compatible with older versions of the RDP protocol.
6 monitors? you must get cramp in your neck trying to switch between them ;-) (wish my employer would get me 6 monitors)
do you run them all on the same resolution to span across monitors?

i'll look into the advantages of using a higher version RDP connection.
peltco

Postby jorn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:53 am

first thing that came into mind is the fact that RDP borks up if the resolution on either of the monitors differs; in that case you'd find that it only works on one monitor. this have to do with how the connection is initialized, by adding up the desktop sizes and asking the server to create a huge surface for all the monitors. I seem to remember reading that there's a hard limit to the desktop size at 4096x4096, but I can't seem to find a reference for this now..
jorn

Postby deming60 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:36 am

The maximum resolution of the old RDP v6.1 is 4096x2028 which is about 2 high res monitors. This was done via spanning. The new RDP 7 (aka RDS 7) offers true multiple monitor support up to 16 monitors (not via spanning). It's awesome and works lightning fast!

Here's a MSDN article on "Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Sesssion". http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/200 ... ssion.aspx

It would be great is you could make mRemoteNG work with this new feature where the session would still show up as a tab. One of your commercial competitors has it working but not as a tab. The tabbed session is really nice so I can flip between multiple RPD sessions easily. :D
deming60

Postby Karrahahu1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 pm

I seem to remember reading that there's a hard limit to the desktop size at 4096x4096, but I can't seem to find a reference for this now..???

Ali
Karrahahu1

Return to Support