[FEATURE ADDED IN v1.64] Copy/Paste and pass throughs

Get help with problems with mRemoteNG.

Postby VNCRemoter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Upon recommendation I've just setup mRemoteNG for our servers. I really like the organizational features of it, however it isn't usable for a couple of reasons. We are using VNC to connect to our servers running RealVNC. Via mRemote copy/paste doesn't work and other keys such as F11 don't pass through which is a deal breaker for us. Copy/paste and the pass through work via other clients (including Real VNC's viewer and TightVNC) so it suggests that it is a client issue. Is there a configuration adjustment I can make to get either (preferably both) of these issues resolved? Alternatively, does it require a different VNC Service for some strange reason?
VNCRemoter

Sponsor

Re: Copy/Paste and pass throughs

Postby thrilleratplay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:15 am

Hmmm, that don't sound right. VNC has many different flavors and some features do not translate between them. Some of these include key combination and special keys. This may include function keys or maybe just f11 and 12 (it may defaults to a IBM AT or something dumb like that). Copy and Paste should work. This maybe as be a simple fix or it may not. I'll put down the putty replacement for the time being and look into to this. If simple I'll do the update on this fix. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and sorry for the problem.
thrilleratplay

Postby thrilleratplay » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am

Ok, I found the issue with copy and paste. It works copying and pasting from the client to the local desktop but is missing the trigger to update the client's keyboard on a clipboard change. Its a quick fix. The key press pass through is a little more complicated. F11 is the fullscreen key for a number of applications; this includes mRemoteNG. So it is caught by the first application that will receive it. This is the same reason there is a CTL-ALT-DEL has a pass through already. At this time I am kinda at a lost on how to handle it. Even if all of the key combos that are caught by the local Windows desktop or mRemoteNG, this won't fix control characters or Unicode characters that maybe requested. I think the ultimate solution for this is a virtual keyboard but will take time to develop. Copy and Paste should be fixed in the next few days with a couple of other bug fixes. Sorry, but as of right now, there will not be a fix for passing through F11.
thrilleratplay

Postby VNCRemoter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Thank you for the prompt response and action. Getting copy/paste working will put 90% of our team in a happy place. The couple who need the F11 pass through can keep another VNC client on hand for those situations when they need it. This will tide us over until a propper resolution is determined and implemented in our preferred client environment: mRemote.
VNCRemoter

Postby thrilleratplay » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Correcting the copy/paste issue was a 5 minute fix, but took three hours to realize it. I came across what I would later find out to be a outstanding bug with key mismapping. So while edit-paste would work, ctrl-v would not. So before rolling out the clipboard fix, we should probably correct that bug. So this may take a couple of days. I will also try to add a solution for passing though F11 and other duplicated keys, but at the moment I can't make any guarantees that it will be in the next release.
thrilleratplay

Postby thrilleratplay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 am

This is taking longer than expected. It turned out that ctrl-v not pasting from the clip board is not bug. VNC specifications are based around Sun style input from 20 years ago when paste was Shift-Insert. Remapping this is simple enough, but to prevent creating new bugs and headaches I am trying to tack down a list of all key macro differences. I apologize for delay.
thrilleratplay

Postby VNCRemoter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 pm

There's nothing wrong with getting it right. Sorry it turned into a complicated issue. At least it pionts out that I can use the other hot keys for copy/paste in the mean time. So it was a useful post to me for the interim.
VNCRemoter

Postby thrilleratplay » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 am

I finally believe this bug has been corrected. There is more testing to do but it looks promising. The time was spent reading through a range of material, all referring to different points where this bug was located then testing these theories. I am not frustrated at how simple the solution seems to be but how it did not relate to anything read. Sigh, such is how debugging goes sometimes. Due to testing and committing other changes, but I hope in the next few days. As far as a pass through for F11, I am going to hold out for a proper solution.
thrilleratplay

Postby bassgoonist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 am

So is there a date as to when this will be available?
bassgoonist

Re: [FEATURE ADDED IN v1.64] Copy/Paste and pass throughs

Postby bassgoonist » Fri May 27, 2011 3:03 pm

bump?
bassgoonist

Next

Return to Support