Extraneous failed RDP logins..

Get help with problems with mRemoteNG.

Postby wmbaum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 am

I recently discovered mRemoteNG and there a great many things I love about it, but I've come across a real showstopper of an issue, which is hopefully a configuration error on my part.

After setting up RDP connections to several machines, I started noticing some strange behavior -- my windows domain account kept getting locked out. Lots of extraneous failed login attempts.

I have the domain authentication credentials set on a parent folder and then I have servers configured in subfolders, where the child folders and connections are all set to inherit everything.

While successfully connected to a couple of machines, the security event log was accumulating failed login attempts from my desktop workstation to that very server while I was already successfully connected to it and was making no new connection attempts.. ?? Is there some background polling or monitoring process? Any clue what would be causing this?

The behavior stopped when I closed mRemoteNG and connected with a different RDP client.
wmbaum

Sponsor

Re: Extraneous failed RDP logins..

Postby thrilleratplay » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 am

There are a few inheritance bugs that should be corrected in the next release. Hopefully this occurs in the next few days and will solve your problem. I have seem that bug before, but honestly I have no idea what causes it. If it persist after the next release, I will try to replicate and correct it.
thrilleratplay

Postby wmbaum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Awesome.. I look forward to it.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can help narrow down the offending scenario.
wmbaum

Postby chrisenn » Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 am

I'm experiencing a similar issue.

I've disabled automatically get session information from the advanced tab in order to hopefully prevent the issue. I also had not set a password in my configuration, so maybe it was trying to login with no password and failing? Does anyone have any insight into what causes this behavior and what action I can take to work around it?

Thanks!
chrisenn

Postby mcdo7447 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Same issue here. Keeps getting me locked out from a client and so I have to often times wait the next day during normal business hours to get it unlocked. Unfortunately I cannot use mRemoteNG anymore when connecting to this client. Looking forward to a fix. Thanks.
mcdo7447

Postby steve1042 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi
I was able to narrow down the issue to having the domain\username stored in mRemoteNG. I am assuming the mRemoteNG uses the local RDP client and the local Windows RDP caches the domain\username by default. I believe this to be the cause. By removing the domain\username I was able to work without my account becoming locked.
steve1042

Return to Support