Copy/Paste to Win2K2008R2 login screen not working

Get help with problems with mRemoteNG.

Postby Lightweb » Mon May 09, 2011 10:02 pm

First, kudos to writing/maintaining/sweating over this application because it's become indispensable to my way of managing networks of systems. Thank you!

I've noticed that I'm having some trouble with copying passwords from KeePass 2.x through mRemoteNG 1.66 to a Windows 2008 R2 server. I think it's just the login screen password field that I can't cut and paste into. I don't think it's limited to KeePass, nothing in the clipboard will go into that password field.

I didn't see a way to manually paste via the mouse. There is no edit menu with the normal paste function.

When I leave a Win2008R2 server idle for too long it locks the screen, which is okay. I keep all of my passwords in KeePass because I like to use 30+ character passwords on my servers and they are quite random and machine generated. It's a royal PITA to have to type it in manually. I end up having to disconnect and reconnect using mRemoteNG to supply the login credentials.

You know, if you could have a function to just paste the password from mRemoteNG's connection database to the remote host, that would be awesomely helpful and might solve this issue. :-)

I know your busy so I'll sit tight until then and probably disable the auto screen lock for now, though this is less secure.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Lightweb

Sponsor

Re: Copy/Paste to Win2K2008R2 login screen not working

Postby Lightweb » Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Just confirmed it also affects Windows Server 2008 (non-R2).

I did a Google search to see if I'm just missing something with the 2K8 server authentication screen but I couldn't find anything?

The clipboard works fine once I'm in the host, BTW. It's just the authentication screen.

Jeff
Lightweb

Postby Lightweb » Mon May 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Am I missing something? Maybe with RDP? It doesn't work with Windows Server 2003 either. :-P

Testing on both Windows XP Pro and a fresh install of Win7 Pro.

Argh.

Jeff
Lightweb

Postby rmcardle » Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 am

I believe this is a security "feature" of Windows. Synchronization of the clipboard between the RDP host and client is handled by a helper program called rdpclip.exe. Windows strictly limits what programs can interact with the logon screen to limit the ability of programs to key log or brute force logons.
rmcardle
Site Admin

Postby Lightweb » Wed May 11, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks! Maybe I just wasn't googling for the right terms because I got no info on that. It sure did seem like a security feature though.

Now I'm wondering if there is a work-around because this is still a problem for me. How to cut and paste a long, obnoxious auto-generated password into a Windows server through mRemoteNG.

Is there a way to add an easy feature to support this? Is there a way to bypass the clipboard at all and simulate key presses or something? I've got a lot of Windows servers to manage. :-)

Thanks!

Jeff
Lightweb

Postby Lightweb » Wed May 11, 2011 6:50 am

BTW, I've tried implementing Auto-type with KeePass but so far I've been unable to make it work.

I noticed this thread but I'm unsure if it ever got implemented. KeePass doesn't see any of the open connection window titles.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

Thanks,
Jeff
Lightweb

Postby wastedlife » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:15 am

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I've found a plugin for KeePass that assists with copy/paste into RDP sessions:

http://keepass.info/plugins.html#rdcandtcato

Hope it helps.
wastedlife

Return to Support