[REDMINE ISSUE 15,16] Browser Support Issues/Observations

Get help with problems with mRemoteNG.

Postby altsysrq » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:21 pm

When using Google Chrome and selecting the "Try to integrate" checkbox, the browser integration works, . . . amazingly, actually. The only thing is resizing is strange as it moves about a cm (very little) until you try and click to resize and move it again at which point it only moves a little again. I started trying browsers as an external application before I realized there was http/https integration through the config menus (IE and Firefox both crashed that way).

Firefox seems to quietly do nothing for me using the http protocol under config. Internet Explorer works very well. I have to say, this is very nice.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit. MRemoteNG is version 1.63.

How do I setup Xulrunner? Is this needed for Firefox?
altsysrq

Sponsor

Re: Browser Support Issues/Observations

Postby altsysrq » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

The answer to setting up Xulrunner is under the components check when you first start mRemoteNG. Here are the steps for anyone who did not see it, like I did or anyone who needs more clarification.

The advantage of using Xulrunner is you can then use the Gecko/Firefox rendering engine. Being able to choose rendering engines such as, Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer is helpful when working with legacy or obscure appliances that have a web interface and require the use of a specific browser.

1. Download and save Xulrunner from the mRemote downloads page. http://www.mremoteng.org/download
2. Extract Xulrunner someplace where you can keep it. (ie C:\Xulrunner, C:\Program Files\Xulrunner, C:\%userprofile%\Xulrunner)
3. In the Options menu select "Advanced".
4. Under Xulrunner path, browse to the location of where you put the main Xulrunner. Click "ok".
5. Test to see that any connections that use a browser works with Gecko (Firefox).

That is all!
altsysrq

Postby nightmare devil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 am

I have to admit, I read it all, downloaded XUL Runner and hoped it's all up, running and working - but it's not.
The component check says it's all green and good but firefox/gecko won't show any sites, neither HTTPS nor simple HTTP.
I also tried the newest version of XULRunner, but that didn't help either.
Anyone an idea? I'd be glad if I could use Gecko instead of IE engine... 8-)
nightmare devil

Postby altsysrq » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:48 am

Try a simple connection like www.google.com. The firefox/gecko doesn't work for everything for me (for example, pop ups). There may be work arounds for those issues.
altsysrq

Postby nightmare devil » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 am

Ok, I just noticed I had to set up a proxy first as XUL Runner won't use the system set proxy configured. I don't really need external access but need JS and Java applets to work. How is that possible? I don't even know if that's the problem here. I tried a HTTP intranet site and it worked. I tried a simple HTTPS website and it didn't show up anything.
nightmare devil

Postby nightmare devil » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 pm

bump. Could please someone help me with the HTTPS / JS / Java access when using Gecko? With IE it's working quite ok as long as there aren't any popups. These won't show up but bring another window of mremoteng.
Thanks in advance
n.d.
nightmare devil

Postby manonstreet » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

I think the idea of having the browser integrated into mRemoteNG is nice; however I am not really a big fan of XULRunner. Making Firefox plugins work is an extremely tricky process. I've basically taken the approach of setting up an External App which points to Firefox and then passes the %HostName% as the argument. I can then use plugins (LastPass) to manage the credentials, but still launch sites easily via mRemoteNG.
manonstreet

Return to Support