[REDMINE ISSUE 9] KiTTY and PieTTY with mRemote

This forum is locked. Feature requests have been moved to JIRA.

Postby newbie01.others » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Hi,

Any chance of getting mRemote to work with KiTTY and PieTTY ???
newbie01.others

Sponsor

Re: KiTTY and PieTTY with mRemote

Postby peltco » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:27 pm

what are the advantages of KiTTY and PieTTY over already existing options like PuTTY?
peltco

Postby newbie01.others » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi peltco,

Only like the supposed-to-be Glass/transparent effect of PieTTY, I tried it but it was very unstable so not really into PieTTY anymore.

I like KiTTY because there is a KiTTY portable version where your session settings are saved locally to INI/folders much like portaPuTTY. If mRemoteNG can work with portaPuTTY am more than happy to use it instead of KiTTY. There seem to be some additional settings on kiTTY that are useful although I have not tried it yet.

At the moment, am using mRemoteNG with portaPuTTY but the sessions that you configured using this version of portaPuTTY that are saved in a .putty folder are not recognized by mRemoteNG and am manually changing the XML file to use the sessions that i created using portaPuTTY. Am guessing mRemote is checking for the Putty sessions from the registry?

FYI, reason why I would want to use portaPuTTY with mRemote is because on some computers I do not have access to the registry where PuTTY/mRemoteNG may be retrieving the saved sessions information.
newbie01.others

Postby voipneteng » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:02 am

I am using KiTTY with mRemoteNG. You just have to rename the exe to putty.exe. The big advantage I have found with KiTTY over PuTTY is that I can create a login script that KiTTY will use to automatically log in when you connect a session. That is a huge time saver.
voipneteng

Postby sirrus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 am

We read from the registry - supporting of all forks of putty is not planned. You can join ower team and help coding - but for now it will not be changed, because putty works and is used by most of you.

portablePutty stores it's configuration in folders and doesn't use the registry. We would need to write a config section for portable putty and add a parser for it's fodler structure to accomplish that. The question is if this is really necessary and who can do it - it's time consuming as hell.

kitty can be used with folder based config too - same issue here. The script ability of kitty is a nice feature...
The problem with kitty is it's different registry layout:

Code: Select all
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\9bis.com\KiTTY\Sessions

instead of putty's:

Code: Select all
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessions

It's the same problem as with portable putty - we would need to offer a possibilty to change which putty version to use - but how should this be done? On a per connection config base? General setting?
sirrus

Postby thrilleratplay » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 am

The PuTTY replacement should solve everything here. I am working on ultimately having all of the keys and mac addresses stored in the conf file so the portable version of mRemoteNG be 100% portable. Will also have direct control of the, terminal so like kitty there will be automated scripts and snippets. There is still a bit of work to complete the library and integrate it.

The thread with my ramblings and progress is viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1393
thrilleratplay

Postby sirrus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 am

I would write and import for putty and kitty as soon as we can release a version with your replacement.
sirrus

Return to Feature Requests