Saved Credentials

This forum is locked. Feature requests have been moved to JIRA.

Saved Credentials

Postby rebelhog » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 am

It would be nice (really nice) to be able to save credentials, like it is possible with VisionApp Remote Desktop. This is one feature is that sorely missed.

With over 500+ Windows servers to manage, having to type in the password for every RDP sessions is rather cumbersome.
rebelhog

Saved Credentials

Sponsor

Re: Saved Credentials

Postby thrilleratplay » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 am

Agreed. I have seen how this was implemented in VisionApp, I would like to have it function differently where the user name doubles as as a drop down menu to select saved credentials. This is on my to do list.
thrilleratplay

Postby possebon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:27 am

I agreed that this is one of most interesting features missing on mRemoteNG. I know VisionApp and the concept of credentials is very cool. But I believe (without looking the mRemoteNG code) that to implement we will need to refactor a lot of code to achieve this. I use too the RDTabs. RDTabs does not have the credential concept, instead it allows you create favorites in folder structure. So, for example, imagine that you have 200 server, and some of them are grouped (by user/domain, for example) you can save the favorites on a folder for each group.

Considering the best practices of password management (change every x days), you can open favorites and do a change os credentials info (user, password, domain) on RDTabs. This feature is called Batch Edit Favorites. So you can select a folder of server groups, click Batch Edit Favorites, then you can choose what properties you can change.

At first moment, I still thought that credentials concept of VisionApp was more effective, but now, after 4 years using RDTabs I prefer the way it manages this, because its flexibility.

And I believe that this approach its closer to the mRemoteNG concept at the time.
possebon

Postby ssermeno » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for keeping this project alive. I have been using mRemote for a long time, and it is good to see that mRemoteNG will keep this project alive.

Anyway, in answer to the original post and at the risk of stating the obvious, yes I agree that vRD way of keeping credentials is very nice, but what I do with mRemoteNG is leverage its support for inheritence and build a server tree around a parent which stores the credentials to use. For me this works just as well and there is no need to have to enter credentials for any server (i.e. 200 as the posted number above was) as they are stored in the parent and inherited for the children.
ssermeno

Postby ssermeno » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:56 pm

The number of servers given above was 500+ but the idea is the same. Cheers.
ssermeno

Return to Feature Requests