SQL Server - Load and Save connections

This forum is locked. Feature requests have been moved to JIRA.

Postby ciberboy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:48 am

Hello

I would like to ask for a very important feature for me.

I would like to use SQL Server to store connections, but I need to have the separation of public and private username / password and connections.

I would like to suggest to add a field in the connection property (public or private) and the same for the username and password.

I also need it to be able to store several username / password for the same connection (one for each user that is going to use mRemoteNG)

Most of the work is already done. Can you please consider this change (ASAP)??

Thanks,

ciberboy
ciberboy

Sponsor

Re: SQL Server - Load and Save connections

Postby Fantasyfr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:17 am

do u want for seperate connections in mremoteNG different usernames and password or for the conection to the SQL Server?
Fantasyfr

Postby ciberboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 am

No. What i need, is to save the connections on SQL Server, a feature that is already present in mRemoteNG. (Tools --> Options --> SQL Server)

What I need is to separate the connections, between public and private, and when a connection is public, I need to store separate username / password.

For example, I have a connection to server01, with my domain\user01 credentials. I need to have different username / password for the rest of my colleagues without replicating the connection, so that is possible to store different credentials for that same connection.

I also need to have the concept of a private connection. For example, I have a connection to my computer (at home) that I do not want my colleagues to see (or connect).

Thanks
ciberboy

Postby Fantasyfr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 am

okay, i think i know what u mean but first an example.

u have one connection and for this connection u have 100 different users and passwords but how should mRemoteNG know which user it should use. Can just simply use this Option - my current credentials or the following [to find under: Tools --> Options --> Connections --> For empty Username, Password or Domain fields use]?
Fantasyfr

Postby ciberboy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:39 am

Hello

I would like to avoid asking the users to enter their credentials every time they need to login a server (we have hundreds).

I would suggest to add a field in the database, where it would save some identification of the user that never changes. For example the windows current user, or some HASH string that contains for example the computername, username (current windows user), or some other static field. In my case, we are in a Microsoft Domain, so the domain user is static. In the current structure, I would suggest to save the credentials in a different table, and associate it with the connectionID, so that you have one connection, and many credentials.

We cannot use the Tools --> Options --> Connections --> For empty Username, Password or Domain fields use] because we have many different users to connect to servers. Nonetheless I believe that it would work on most cases.

I also need the concept of Private connections. There are some connections that I do not want users to see.

Thanks
ciberboy

Postby Fantasyfr » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:47 pm

okay, first mRemoteNG use the windows user credentials of the logged user that means the user don't have to put in his/her credentials to login to a server. second i don't see any benefit for other administrators in your request. mRemoteNG is a administrator tool not a user tool by the way your request sounds like a mRemoteNG Version only for your requirements.
Fantasyfr

Postby ciberboy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 am

Hello

In relation to the first part of your answer, it is possible to use windows credentials, only to all connections, or none. In our case, we have a mixed environment where users have their credentials, or login with a generic administrator account.

I believe that the modifications are very little. Of course that requires work.

I have seen that mRemoteNG (with connections saved in SQL Server), uses basically 1 of the 3 tables (tblCons) that is deleted and filled with the connections info every time a change occurs. It deletes all records and write everything again.

What I suggest, is an update on the table only for the records that have changed, and insert or delete only for the records that have been added, or deleted. With that, you get a static ID. With that static ID, it is possible to create a new table (lets call it "tblCredentials"). This is the table where all credentials are saved).

With this small change, all the features that I suggest are possible.

Hope you can reconsider.
ciberboy

Postby Fantasyfr » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:53 am

We are also have a mixed enviroment. U can leave for the windows user credentials all fields blank and for the generic administrator accounts u can insert these in the connections.

About these 'little' modifications i don't belive that these modifications where so easily because the SQL Connection works not very well at the moment also the mRemoteNG Team are trying to resolve major bugs like putty problems.
Fantasyfr

Return to Feature Requests